Saturday, October 26, 2013

Born Pretty Store Review: Nail Foils

   Hey y'all! Another Born Pretty Store review up for you guys (: this time it's for nail foils. I've never used nail foils before, but I have seen some stunning manis using them, so I was quite excited to try it!


   This is colour #23 - a purple to blue to green gradient - and have plenty of other foil designs to choose from on their site. They do provide instructions on the product page as to how to apply the foils onto your nails, which involved painting 2 coats of polish, waiting for it to dry until it was tacky, and then pressing the foil onto the nail (colour side up) and peeling the sheet away. 

   I found this extremely hard to do! I either didn't wait long enough and peeled the polish off with the sheet, or waited too long and the foil no longer stuck to the nail *rages* But after some (A LOT) of trial and error, I got something that sort of resembled what I was aiming for. 


   *eep* I guess it's not horrible for a first attempt, but I realllllly wanted that smooth foil look that others have achieved using foil - mine are all wrinkly! Probably because every time I tried to get the nail foil to come off in one sheet on the nail there were always bald patches, so I'd have to press the foil onto the nail again, and again, and hence the wrinkles.


   Though, despite all that, I kind of grew to like it. Reminds me of mermaids and their tails. And when you don't press your nose up to the nail, they actually look pretty good from afar - like a metallic gradient of sorts. Using a matching purple base colour helped hide all the bald spots :P 

   I didn't use top coat on these, as it's known to wrinkle the foil underneath - it's wrinkled enough, no need to wrinkle it some more :P haha 


   But this is just the beginning of my journey with nail foils! I will eventually get that smooth foil look! I watched a couple of videos on youtube about how to apply nail foils and found out that to get the foil to stick to the nail in one piece, they had used special foil glue. Unfortunately, I didn't have that just lying around so off I went to the born pretty store and ordered some :D When that comes in, I'll try my hand at nail foils again! 

   Until then, feel free to browse the rest of the Born Pretty Store for nail art supplies and use XFSQ10 at the checkout for 10% off your entire purchase (: !


Anyone out there care to share their tips, tricks and/or suggestions on using these nail foils?

*The item/s mentioned in this post were sent to me for my 100% honest review. This in no way affects my opinion of them. For more information, please read the Contact and Policy page of the blog*

8 comments:

  1. reallllllly pretty. Love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much! Im a sucker for purples and blues :p !!

      Delete
  2. I love the effect and the colours! It's amazing how well you did considering you only used nail polish. You should try with the glue, seems much easier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definitely will when my glue comes in the mail! :D

      Delete
  3. I had the opposite problem! I think this wrinkled multi-layered look is really amazing, but mine always ended up looking too flat and smooth! I guess I will try using polish instead of glue next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the opposite problem! I think this wrinkled multi-layered look is really amazing, but mine always ended up looking too flat and smooth! I guess I will try using polish instead of glue next time!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, so don't be shy to drop a line, and say hello! (: